Just another reason to stay at La Plata Mountains Cabin – For an “off-the-beaten-track” experience, take a tour of the Ute Mountain Tribal Park. The Park is located near Towaoc south of Cortez and is an easy day’s drive from La Plata Mountains Cabin. The Ute Mountain Utes have preserved Ancestral Puebloan architecture and rock art on their land that borders the south boundary of Mesa Verde National Park. The Tribal Park was selected by National Geographic Traveler as one of the 80 world destinations for Travel Adventure in the 21st Century.
The Ute Mountain Tribal Park recently published their 2012 special calendar of events.
- May 26 – “12th Annual Open House”; Porcupine House Tour: Anasazi Sun Calendar & Petroglyph Tour; and Native American Flute Music.
- July 7 – “Nordenskiold Cliff Dwellings Tour in Pool Canyon”
- July 21 – “Inaccessible, Casa Colorado, & Casa Blanca House Cliff Dwelling Tour”
- September 21 – “Turning Red Tail Hawk Tour to Morris Three Cliff Dwelling in Johnson Canyon”
- April through October the Ute Mountain Utes are offering on-going full day, half day tours as well as remote and private tours.